Sunday, May 29, 2016

Night Skies

Like a yellow eyed snake
East Express slithers through
the burnt grass of Jonai.
It flashes through sleepy towns
that wait for clouds of grey
to sprinkle fields with rain.

At deserted check points, it wakes
hushed nights to the sound
of passengers’ banter while
I drown myself in my novel’s
next chapter.

The lines in my book dance
to the music of the dark.
I think of the summer nights
we spent beyond the wild grass
reading Keats and Neruda
under orchard trees we called home.

I know it is a long night
ahead until I see you
but the stars will
keep me company
till black skies turn blue.

The stretches of forests
that border the railway line
lie awake with the constant
chirping of crickets.

Sleep wanders away from me-
I watch shadows of trees
resemble faces, objects
and sometimes of witches
that mask well against
the black of the night.

I know it is a long night
ahead until I see you
but the stars will
keep me company
till black skies turn blue. 

*First published in Aaduna's 2016 Spring Issue.

No comments: